Marlborough trainer Richard Hannon has the top weight entry for Saturday's (July 22) £250,000 five furlong Weatherbys Super Sprint, which is the highlight of the seven-race card at Newbury on Weatherbys Super Sprint Day - with the added attraction of singer Jess Glynne performing after racing.
The Marlborough area is home to many of New Zealand's top eventers and two of them will be travelling to Aachen this week to represent their country in the sixth round of the 2017 Nations Cup Series competition (July 20-22.)
A huge cheer greeted Britain's William Fox-Pitt at the cross-country finish of the three-star class at the St. James’s Place Barbury International Horse Trials (July 9) as he scored his biggest eventing win since he suffered a serious head injury in a fall in the autumn of 2015.
Britain’s Kristina Cook and Billy The Red are the overnight leaders in the CIC*** competition after the second day (July 7) of the St. James’s Place Barbury International Horse Trials.
The former European Eventing champion and three times Olympic medallist produced a stunning test riding the ten-year-old gelding, securing a mark of 40.4.
Barbury Castle trainer Alan King (pictured above) has been fined £2,000 by the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) after Yanworth failed a drugs test taken following the Champion Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival in March 2017.
Event Rider Masters: will a superb contest & thrilling finish help to safeguard the future of Barbury Horse Trials?
The new owner of the Barbury Castle Estate, Chris Woodhouse, presented one of the prizes at the end of the thrilling third leg of the 2017 Event Rider Masters (ERM) contest on Sunday (July 9) at the St James's Place Barbury International Horse Trials.
Barbury Horse Trials Day Three: France's Thomas Carlile takes the lead in a thrilling dressage phase
On Saturday afternoon (July 8) at the St. James’s Place Barbury International Horse Trials, an extraordinary set of dressage tests unfolded in the third leg of the 2017 Event Rider Masters competition.
William Fox-Pitt (GBR) riding Clifton Signature leads the CIC*** dressage after the first day of competition at the St. James’s Place Barbury International Horse Trials.
World’s best event riders set for Barbury battle - as Andrew Nicholson targets sixth consecutive Barbury win
New Zealander eventer Andrew Nicholson, who is based near Marlborough at Lockeridge, has his sights set on his sixth Barbury CIC*** title in a row. Nicholson, pictured above at home with Nereo, is currently ranked the world number two event rider.
He will bring eight horses to compete across the four days at the St. James’s Place Barbury International Horse Trials - 6- 9 July.
More Articles ...
- Local racehorse Fidelity stays faithful to second place
- At Newbury you get entertaining racing & the chance to turn a pound stake into seventy quid on the Tote
- Jonelle Price: pregnancy means she will miss Barbury - her favourite event
- SUPPORTING THE EQUESTRIAN INDUSTRY: how Chapel Forge Farriers & their apprentices provide an equine podiatry service from foal to racehorse
- Event Rider Masters: next stop Barbury as Britain’s Sarah Cohen wins second leg in Germany
- Eventer Chelsea Pearce long-listed for British squad at Young Rider European Championships
- Marlborough Downs are one training yard down as George Baker Racing moves on
- Barbury launches business club to reach Wiltshire enterprises
- Newbury's big day on the flat: a Godolphin double and wins for local trainers Hannon & Charlton
- The Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes - the centrepiece of Newbury Racecourse’s richest race-day
- SUPPORTING THE LOCAL EQUESTRIAN INDUSTRY: behind the scenes with a vet from Wessex Equine
- Galileo Gold & Ribchester head acceptors for Newbury Racecourse’s £350,000 Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes
- July 2017: St. James’s Place Barbury International Horse Trials to introduce arena eventing & ERM commentary for all
- Eventing: Andrew Nicholson wins his first Badminton - riding Nereo
- The magic is back: for Frankie Dettori & Galileo Gold Newbury's Al Shaqab Lockinge Stakes cannot come soon enough
- Badminton call heralds breakthrough for Lissa Green and Ali G
- Classic contenders and Royal winner headline Dubai Duty Free Spring Trials Saturday
- Emma Lavelle's first year training on the Marlborough Downs sees her nearly double her winners
- Newbury Racecourse's flat season gets off to a fine start with the Spring Trials Weekend
- Trainer George Baker to leave his Manton yard
- Retraining of Racehorses: the story of the stellar second career of Marlborough owned & trained racehorse Beware Chalk Pit
- Laura Thomas: local point-to-point trainer's 'cracking season' - with an added hunter chase victory
- Tedworth Point-to-Point - sun, crowds, fun, firm going...and not many runners
- Eventing: On the way to Badminton - Riddle Master gets some professional 'yoga'
- Andrew Nicholson set for another busy eventing season - as his horse Asis becomes As Is
- £90,000 raised at Newbury Racecourse's Greatwood charity raceday
- Cheltenham Festival: local star Lil Rockerfeller goes for gold in the Sun Bets Stayers' Hurdle
- Jan Perrins talks to former jockey, Cheltenham specialist & trainer Andy Turnell at Broad Hinton: what does he think of the Grand National now?
- Newbury Racecourse announces The Ladbrokes Winter Carnival as the Hennessy Gold Cup morphs into the Ladbrokes Trophy
- Newbury's annual Greatwood Charity Raceday fields some punters' favourites - and a fascinating charity race
- Manton Assistant Trainer Rory O'Dowd wins a Godolphin prize - and visits Westminster
- Event Rider Masters confirm 2017 contests - including July's Barbury International Horse Trials
- Lambourn Open Day re-named in honour of Many Clouds
- Barbury Racecourse preview: Vine & Craven point-to-point promises strong entries, competitive races & local interest
- Paul Nicholls pleased with preparations for Newbury's major Betfair Super Saturday
- It's the Ladbrokes Gold Cup - leading bookmaker to sponsor Newbury Racecourse's flagship winter jumps meeting
- Weights for Newbury's Betfair Hurdle: 15/2 favourite Ballyandy handed 10st 6lb
- A truly bumper event: full report on the first Barbury International point-to-point
- Inaugural Barbury International Point-to-Point draws a big crowd - and scores a number of welcome firsts
- Barbury International: Tattersalls Ireland sale offer to inaugural point-to-point's winners
- St James’s Place sponsors award for leading trainer at first ever Barbury International point-to-point
- Local trainer Neil King buys top price Canyon City as hurdle prospect
- Eventing - the Olympic changes: New Zealanders fear dumbing down of their sport
- Eventing: FEI votes in favour of teams of three for the Tokyo Olympics
- Newbury Racecourse's biggest racedays: can local hero Smad Place win the Hennessy again?
- New Zealand eventing looks for a UK-based manager
- Rio aside, Marlborough's Kiwi eventers have had a good season but "Next year can't come soon enough"
- European Eventing Championships: Team GB's juniors take bronze medal - Chelsea Pearce finishes best of British in eighth place
- European Eventing Championships: Great Britain's juniors in bronze position - Chelsea Pearce is in eleventh place
- Nigel Bunter puts Barbury Castle Estate up for sale - future of International Horse Trials and Alan King Racing in the balance